The COA Program is for Unitarian Universalist youth whose parents / guardians are members or friends in good standing at any LIAC affiliated UU congregation.
While all Long Island Unitarian Universalist youth in, grades 7-9 are eligible, older youth will be given first preference.
Participants will be notified of their acceptance into the program.
COMING OF AGE INTENDS TO:
• Attendance and participation in orientation and the five meeting sessions.
• Completion of homework assignments, which include light reading and conversations (guiding questions will be provided) with parents/guardians, mentors or other adults in the UU community that allow participants to explore various UU points of view.
• Completion of two projects of the participant's choosing. One project is focused on the larger faith community, and one is congregation-centered. Projects can be tailored to the student's needs, interests and abilities. The mentor will provide guidance on the selection and completion of the projects.
• Completion of community service hours.
During Orientation, participants and mentors will receive the COA Handbook, detailing the program requirements.
The $250 COA tuition covers the cost of all of the program sessions and the COA Recognition Service. Parents/Guardians will also be asked to sign up to provide food/snacks for potluck dinners. The $225 balance of payment is due at the Orientation meeting.
The Boston Trip is optional, with an additional estimated cost of $250. Youth must sign up for the Boston trip at the time of registration. For youth attending the Boston trip, a $100 deposit is due at Orientation, with the $150 balance due by March.
Send all payments to:
COA c/o SNUUC
228 South Ocean Avenue
Freeport, NY 11520
Please write COA on memo line.
1. Complete the registration form, covenant, and medical form. Send these with the registration fee to the address on the registration form.
2. If the youth will be going on the optional Boston trip, make sure it is indicated on the registration form.
Registration deadline 12/15/23
Wednesday 1/10/24 - Orientation (zoom) 7-8:30pm
Sessions (all Saturdays): 1:30 - 8:30pm
Tentative Boston trip/alternative retreat - Thurs 4/11/24 - Sun 4/14/24
Ceremony: Saturday 6/15/24 - 3:00 - 5:00pm